In many ways, I owe my career to Ryan Carlson.
He played a key role in giving me my first break at Disney, taught me more about painting than any other individual and he, more than anyone for whom I’ve worked, has intentionally helped to advance my career.
…and considering that The ArtCast probably wouldn’t exist without my time at Disney, and The Oatley Academy only exists because of The ArtCast, The Oatley Academy might not exist without Ryan…
In this episode we discuss:
- Why failure is a necessary part of the creative process.
- What makes a good Art Director?
- Ryan’s process for creating a Color Script for an animated feature film…
Listen To Part 1 Of Our Interview With Ryan Carlson:
In Part 2, Ryan Talks About:
- Working on The Iron Giant and what he learned from Brad Bird.
- His advancement from Assistant Effects Animator to Art Director.
- How to lead a team of creative professionals well…
Download Chris Oatley’s performance of “Dance Around The Fire” by Slaid Cleaves
Lyrics to Dance Around The Fire by Slaid Cleaves
Theme Music by Storybook Steve
Recurring Musical Segments by Kangaralien
Outro Music by The Years
It’s An ArtCast Party!
Please join the Episode 100 celebration in the comments section on The Oatley Academy website!
Post your reactions to anything in this episode that you liked and it would also be fun if you could share one of your favorite moments from the past 100 episodes of The ArtCast…