Our Facebook Groups and Forums are consistently positive, passionate and constructive.
Please help our uniquely encouraging community continue to thrive by following these simple guidelines:
Share Your Work and Process:
- Please help to keep our community active by sharing your WIPS (works in progress) as well as finished work.
- Feel free to post frequently. Obviously, we want to avoid the incessant, spammy posting habits that drive people bonkers. (By “spammy posting habits” we mean stuff like posting new work multiple times a day, every day or always asking for feedback but never really reciprocating).
- Please be generous with encouragement when your fellow students share their work.
- Academic nudity is fine. Just please abide by our Nudity/ NSFW policy.
- Please keep posts focused on the primary OA topics like Visual Storytelling, Illustration, Character Design, Making a living with your art etc.
- The Oatley Academy is a very friendly environment, but it’s also a professional environment. Please save emotionally raw, deeply personal information for your close friends and Circles Of Trust. When in doubt, just ask yourself if everyone who can see this post is as intimate a friend as the information in the post itself.
- Please only share critiques when the artist specifically requested critiques.
- Please always use the “critique sandwich” method for critique:
- Step 1: Find something positive to say about the work you’ve been asked to critique.
- Step 2: Address one, specific area for improvement. It’s best when you can focus on the area that would result in the MOST improvement overall. Be very specific and offer a clear, actionable solution. Avoid vague or “dump truck” critiques.
- Step 3: Wrap up the critique another positive encouragement or reiterate the positive comment from Step 1. Remind the artist that with the right teachers and in the right community, they will continue to progress.
Code Of Conduct:
We abide by the Disney Employee Code Of Conduct.
It’s all common sense: Don’t be a bully. Don’t harass anyone. Don’t post explicit content etc.
But when in doubt, just check that document or email us.
Please encourage, empower and equip your fellow creatives!
Thank you for being part of The Oatley Academy.
If you ever have any questions at all, feel free to email us: [email protected]
We’re here for you!