- When should you start growing an audience? (Sooner than you think!)
- Why trust is essential for growing an audience.
- Should your project have its own website?
- The importance of school visits.
- …and Shawna shares her personal tip to avoid overwhelm!
The Oatley Academy ArtCast:
Artistic insight and career advice from the most inspiring voices in Animation, Games, Comics, Illustration and Children's Books.
This month, Sarah Marino (Color Supervisor at Nickelodeon), Jenn Ely (Production Designer for House Special, Visual Development Artist for Dreamworks) and I are teaching a new online workshop called First Flight: How To Create Your New Career In Visual Development.
I invited them both to join me here on The ArtCast to promote First Flight and talk about how they achieved such significant success in their animation careers…
Episode Highlights include:
- Turning fear into faith.
- Becoming more professional by de-emotionalizing your creative process.
- Why we stopped caring about job titles.
- How fear cost Jenn a a big opportunity (and why she’ll never make that mistake again).
- Why Sarah had to climb through a human hamster wheel. (That’s not a metaphor.)
- Inspiring gumball machines and the healing power of ice cream.
- Is a successful animation career worth the cost?
Our new Visual Development Workshop is finally open for enrollment!
To learn more, listen to the audio announcement via the media player below…
In the previous episode, we met Ryan Carlson – my Disney mentor and the person without whom The Oatley Academy may never have happened…
Now in part two, Ryan talks about:
- Working on The Iron Giant and what he learned from Brad Bird.
- His advancement from Assistant Effects Animator to Art Director.
- How to lead a team of creative professionals well.
- The greatest gift an aspiring animation professional can offer an Art Director…
PLUS: The ArtCast: Behind The Scenes with the OA Team!
In many ways, I owe my career to Ryan Carlson.
He played a key role in giving me my first break at Disney, taught me more about painting than any other individual and he, more than anyone for whom I’ve worked, has intentionally helped to advance my career.
…and considering that The ArtCast probably wouldn’t exist without my time at Disney, and The Oatley Academy only exists because of The ArtCast, The Oatley Academy might not exist without Ryan…
In this episode we discuss:
- Why failure is a necessary part of the creative process.
- What makes a good Art Director?
- Ryan’s process for creating a Color Script for an animated feature film…