Bonus Extended Interview: Jenn Ely :: The Winding Road To Laika
Listen To Part 1 Of Jenn’s Extended Interview:
With stories like these, it’s no wonder she eventually got a job at Laika.
This Extended Interview Contains Almost One Hour Of Extra Audio:
- More memories from the Emu farm.
- Chris and Jenn’s tell stories of their weirdest and most ridiculously ambitious childhood art projects.
- How Jenn transcended the discouragement from a bad teacher with the help of a good one.
- How Jenn found sweet salvation in the world of illustration.
- How Jenn created her own concept art curriculum at SCAD.
- More ranting about the pointlessness of degrees.
- How collaboration is vital to good Commercial Art.
- Showing your artistic process within the art itself.
- Why commercial viability is not always a compromise.
Listen To Part 2 Of Jenn’s Extended Interview:
Now, Jenn talks about her time at The Savannah College Of Art & Design (SCAD) as well as her mentorship with Dreamworks Production Designer Kathy Altieri.
…but most of the episode is, as promised, about her time at Laika.
This Extended Interview Contains Almost Half An Hour Of Extra Audio:
- What drew Jenn to animated film rather than games.
- How she connected with OA and Visual Development..
- Jenn explains her need for a mentor who would not hold back..
- It’s important to recognize the roadblocks, not just the “good parts.”.
- Look for people who understand you and want to invest in you.
- Is your fear bigger than your desire?
- Consider what others need from you, rather than what they can do for you.
- Jenn gives detail of the creative process she experienced at Laika.
- Life comes full circle as she joins OA to teach!