One of the defining qualities of a professional storyboard or concept artist is an endless supply of surprising, new ideas. Ironically, this inventive quality comes from history.
Marvel Story Artist Justin Copeland will help you master film language, elevate your visual storytelling and get you thinking like a director with this in-depth study of the greatest films of all time.
Storyboard artists, comics creators and concept artists are encouraged to apply.
If you have questions about the course that are not answered here, please email Oatley Academy Support.
How Does ‘Films On Paper’ Work?
- While most online art school models feature pre-recorded content, Films On Paper is a live class similar to Painting Drama.
- Justin will lecture, lead class discussions, critique homework assignments, provide personal mentorship, artistic and career guidance for his students.
- We also have a few surprises planned.
- The actual class sessions are scheduled to begin on February 7th, 2015.
- We will accept about 21 students for the next session.
- Class sessions will meet weekly for at least 10 weeks (as uninterrupted as possible).
- Class sessions usually go about 3 hours including lecture, class activities and homework critiques.
- If you have to miss a class session, we will provide the recording.
What Will We Cover & Accomplish In The Course?
- The central question of Films On Paper is “How do great films work?”
- Students will create storyboards for both analytical (reverse-engineering films) and creative purposes (telling your own stories).
- It’s not merely a storyboard class, however. It’s an intense study of the history of visual storytelling.
- There will also be a lot of discussion about drawing and composition.
- The lessons apply to storyboard artists, comics artists and concept artists.
How Do The Auditions Work?
- The Round One Submission Deadline will be announced soon.
- If you make the first cut, you will be notified via email.
- The second round of auditions will involve a video interview.
How Much Does ‘Films On Paper’ Cost?
- The price of Films On Paper will be extremely competitive with other online courses that offer instructor feedback.
- We are consistently told that Painting Drama is far more personal than any other online course and Films On Paper will be the same way.
- The price of Films On Paper will be comparable to Painting Drama.
- A payment plan will be provided.
*Please direct all other questions to Oatley Academy Support.