Three years ago, Darren Yeow, a successful, self-taught Concept Artist created The Nomad Art Satchel: a product we didn’t know we wanted, yet it changed the lives of artists around the globe. The bag’s unique tool storage system and thoughtful design made it possible to sketch anywhere. It’s simply the best art bag in the world.
Now, the Kickstarter for The Nomad’s successor, The Etchr Art Satchel, made over $200,000 within the first 24 hours of launch…
…and we’ve been recording the whole story, checking in with Darren since 2015…
In our first installment, Ânia Marcos – now a Producer on The ArtCast – and Darren discuss:
- Learning from every job you get, even if it’s a little sketchy.
- What makes The Nomad uniquely perfect for artists.
- Building an art career in spite of a late start.
- Mastering the skills you need to be a successful artist, without stepping foot in a classroom.
- When and why you should compare yourself with other artists.
- How to keep going when your plans fall apart…
Listen To Part 1 Of ‘The Making Of The Best Art Bag In The World’:
In part two, we talk about:
- What is your idea worth?
- When is Kickstarter the best option?
- When to start planning your Kickstarter Campaign…
- Why to prepare before opportunity knocks.
- Is resilience a skill you can develop?
- How Darren future-proofed his career.
Connect With Darren:
Connect With Ânia and Edge:
Theme Music by Storybook Steve
Recurring Musical Segments by Kangaralien
Outro Music by The Years
Darren’s first jobs in the industry were a little, well, sketchy. But instead of getting discouraged, he used these experiences as an opportunity to become a better artist.
How do you stay focused on your craft in a challenging environment?
We’re looking forward to hearing your tips so please, join the conversation on The Oatley Academy website!